![]() |
Let's Talk over Coffee.... |
About Me What is this blog About My Links I am an avid stamper/scrapbooker/crafter. Check out my Stampin' Up website at: www.lorriheiling.stampinup.net or my stamping blog at www.stampingaddict.blogspot.com |
Sunday, October 07, 2007 Germany Trip
I guess I forgot to write something about our trip!! LOL So here it is! We left for Germany on Sept. 27th. Since I kind of decided last minute to go (and was able to because my mom and daughter were available to watch Brady!), I went stand by on our airline benes. Thank God I was able to get on the pretty full flights. It was fun to kind of veg out, watch movies, etc. on the airplane! I hardly have time to do that at home! We got to Germany Friday morning. We were so tired, but needed to stay awake the whole day because things were planned all day! We and along with about 35 other guests that were there for the same reason boarded up a beautiful coach bus and headed towards Winnenden. That is where Murr Elektronik is based. We went on a tour of their warehouse and office building. It was QUITE impressive! Wish we could have taken pictures inside with those robots zipping around. Dan stood there like a kid in a candy store. I can't believe people invent these things!!!! Then they had a tour of the business and design center (behind the scenes) and it was SO OVER MY HEAD, but quite interesting. At this point I was needing to lean against a wall, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I felt bad, because the wives were in the background trying to stay awake and the guys were doing pretty good!! We got to our hotel and had about 45 mn. to get ready for dinner. Dan and I both took about a 40 mn. nap, then went to a quaint little restaurant that was actually a cellar (smelled like it, too, but added to the atmosphere. LOL) That was the best German food we were served all weekend! It was SO GOOD! It was veal and spatzle. Boy is that stuff good! :) FINALLY it was time for bed. We got to the hotel around 11pm. The next day we headed to Stuttgart. We did some sight seeing in the city. This city is the headquarters for Porsche and BMW. The tours were full that day, so we didn't get to tour that. (The guys were disappointed!) We then went to Oktoberfest. OH MY GOSH, I kept saying I can't believe we are in Germany during Oktoberfest! We went to where the big festival was. If you know what Valleyfair is like in MN, that is what it is like. In addition to rides and junk food, there are BEER GARDENS all over the place. I hate beer, but it from the looks of those around us, it seems that BEER was the beverage of choice that day! LOL (This was part of the tour they had us on, I didn't have a choice in the matter! LOL) It was CRAZY in the beer tents. They had 2 picnic tables reserved for Murr Elektronik. After awhile we had to get out and get some fresh air. My throat was so sore from the smoke. Am I a wimp OR WHAT? We went on some rides and ate LOTS of junk food. It was a fun day! The next day we got to tour a castle. It was the Castle Hohenzollern. It was SO INTERESTING. I made the mistake and asked how many people lived there. Wish I wouldn't have asked that. The tour guide said NO ONE EVER LIVED THERE! For the rest of the tour I coulnd't even concentrate, or get beyond the fact that nobody ever lived there!!!! That same day we went on a boat tour of the largest lake in Germany. It is Lake of Constance. Of course, this was also a highlight for Dan and I because we are such LAKE PEOPLE at heart! We had such a great time on the boat. The next day we visited an even more spectacular castle. It was the Castle Neuschwanstein. That one people actually LIVED in, so that made me feel better about it. LOL The history is quite interesting on this castle. I am going to read up on this on the internet. The king went bankrupt building this and was found dead in the river the next day. To this day they don't know if it was suicide or murder! Sounds like a good movie could be made on this story line. That was our last day in Germany. We had a wonderful time, and wished we would have extended our visit like many of the other couples did. Maybe next time?????? (Brook, maybe you will be based there someday? LOL) Hope you enjoyed the mini tour of our trip! |
| Layout Design by Hajira | Thanks to:Getty Images Blogspot Blogskins |